Monday 2 July 2018

London Loop Day 2: Bexley to Petts Wood

Today was my shortest day on the Loop clocking in at 7.5 miles. Yet the walk still manages to pack in a lot of sights, following the River Cray to its end at Foots Cray, climbing up the edge of Cray valley to Sidcup Place and then following a succession of woods and commons to today's destination of Petts Wood.

7.5 miles today, 16.2 miles cumulative

As I started walking I noticed a twinge in my ankle. 'That's not good' I thought. 'It's only day 2, I have 13 more days to go.' Although the pain was fairly minor it was still noticeable and it stayed with me for about half the day. Thankfully there were no problems in the afternoon but I will be keeping an eye on it in case it returns.

The walk along the River Cray was particularly delightful today. The path directly followed the edge of the bank, sometimes even descending into the river, and was a verdant green tunnel, involving clambering over tree roots and once even squeezing between a tree that had grown in the middle of the path.

River Cray encroaching on path
Trees on path

Tree roots on path


The main beauty spot though was Five Arches Bridge in the heart of Foots Cray Meadows where I stopped to watch the fish that swam in the lake, and the ducks and swans that glided along the surface. It was very serene and my first wildlife encounter of the day. Unfortunately most of the wildlife doesn't deem itself confidant enough to pose for photos, and so eluded my attempts to capture them on screen. Yet I came across a small snake that quickly wriggled off into the reeds of the River Cray, a fox in the undergrowth of Scadbury Park, several squirrels, and the usual assortment of butterflies, dragonflies, birds and insects.


Five Arches Bridge

After passing through Foots Cray with its war memorial, clock tower and fairly striking church I made my way up to Sidcup Place designed to resemble a star fort, although with many extensions since added, that make it difficult to detect the shape. I considered stopping here for lunch but it was too early, so I continued on my way, navigating through the maze of footbridges and subways to get through Frognal Corner, where the A20 crosses the A222. Upon reaching the other side I entered Scadbury Park and left behind Bexley for the London Borough of Bromley. One London Borough down, 13 more to traverse.

All Saint Church, Foots Cray
Sidcup Place

Scadbury Park contains the highlight of today, the ruins of Scadbury Manor. These ruins of a moated manor are stumbled upon directly from a woodland footpath, looming up out of nowhere. Separated from the path by a small moat, the ruins feel intimate, enclosed as they are in the middle of the woods and yet strangely distant, separated from the world by both time and water. Scadbury Park is also where I make my first slight navigational error, having left the correct path to more closely inspect a pond, I turn onto a wrong path, that leads me through a very pretty meadow. Eventually noticing the distinct lack of trees, I quickly retrace my steps and return to the correct route.

Ruins of Scadbury Manor

Redwoods in Scadbury Park

Finally I reach Petts Wood and a memorial to William Willet, a passionate advocate for the introduction of daylight saving time. It is here in a clearing that I stop for lunch, yet I am faced with somewhat of a dilemma, where to sit? The bench facing the memorial is comfortable and the views are pretty, yet the sun is scorching and after a few minutes I cannot sit there anymore, moving to the shade and awkwardly perching on a narrow tree trunk. The arrival of bees moves me back to the bench and the wilting sun.

William Willett memorial

Me attempting to eat lunch

After lunch I make my way through Petts Wood (the wood), loudly singing snatches of songs from Galavant and then cross several railway tracks to reach Petts Wood (the suburb). Todays walk has been beautiful, with a lot more ups and downs through the woods than yesterdays river walk. One last thing to note, is that having completed two sections I have yet to meet another person walking the Loop. I wonder when I will?

I came across at least three different  abandoned shoes today. Perhaps left behind by defeated Loop walkers?

Petts Wood station

No comments:

Post a Comment